A study conducted by the National University of Singapore concluded that the tuition industry in Singapore has ballooned to S$1.4b. Should we have been concerned? In 2017/18, tuition expenses rose to 1.4 billion dollars.
Yeah, it’s billions of dollars, folks, not millions of dollars!
Here are six key factors why tuition is required in Singapore
1. A tutor may share specific knowledge or methods that may not be taught in sufficient detail during regular school hours. The tutor can also answer questions that your child may be too embarrassed to ask in school in front of their classmates.
2. Due to the high student-teacher ratio, a tutor can identify the weak areas of each student and concentrate on teaching these specific areas that a school teacher is unable to do.
3. A teacher can provide street-smart approaches to address exam questions, identify topics to concentrate on, and tips on remembering certain formulas, especially when it comes to difficulty and equation-rich subjects such as IP chemistry.
4. One-to-one focus is the principal value of home tuition. The teacher will pay close attention to the vulnerable areas of your child with a one-to-one tutor to student ratio and apply the necessary teaching strategies or solutions.
5. Having a home tutor will mean less time to drive, as the tuition is carried out at the student’s home. After a long day at school, traveling time could be better spent studying a little longer, planning for lessons, or relaxing.
6. Compared to a tuition center with set timetables, home tuition schedules are much more flexible and easier to customize.
It is necessary to set realistic goals that the child is willing and able to accomplish to be most successful. Do not expect your child to achieve the same as when the topic is currently failing.
For example, set a goal to raise grades from a D to a B or C.
Do not expect overnight miracles to happen. Before hoping to see any significant outcomes, give the tutor and student 1-2 months. The return on investment in your child’s tuition can be maximized to the fullest with continuous monitoring of your child’s progress and a set of reasonable goals.
This decision ultimately determines the potential educational path of your child and the opportunities for a successful career. Home tutors can offer several kinds of advantages which are not sufficiently apparent.