MOOCs are the “on-line phenomenon amassing momentum over the last years or so, a MOOC integrates the connectivity of social networking, the facilitation of an acknowledged professional in an area of taking a look at, and a collection of freely on hand online resources. Perhaps most significantly; but, a MOOC builds at the lively engagement of numerous hundred to several thousand “college students” who self-prepare their participation in keeping with learning goals, earlier information and skills, and not unusual interests. Although it is able to percentage in a number of the conventions of an everyday route, consisting of a predefined timeline and weekly subjects for attention, a MOOC normally contains no prices, no conditions apart from Internet get right of entry to and hobby, no predefined expectations for participation, and no formal accreditation” (McAuley et al., 2010).
If we see on their capabilities, early MOOCs regularly emphasized open -get entry to functions, together with open licensing of content, structure and mastering dreams, to sell the reuse and remixing of resources. Some later MOOCs use closed licenses for their direction materials while preserving unfastened get right of entry to for college students (wikipedia.Org).
• They are commonly described with the aid of signature traits that include; unfastened guides, lectures formatted as quick videos mixed with formative quizzes which might be without difficulty on hand through technology gadgets that have net connectivity (Danbiel, 2012).
• In a maximum of the instances, MOOCs are either loose or available at a completely low fee for customers. They can also be utilized by the customers on clever cellular phones.
• They offer the ability of peer and self-tests to contribute to significant learning enjoy besides, the automated assessment (Duderstadt, 2012)
• They are more reliable as they are evolved by using eminent professors, educators, and challenge specialists.
MOOC platforms – Indian situation
In India government has taken many projects to introduce e-data services like National Knowledge Network (NKN) which a country of the art multi-gigabit pan-India network for presenting a high-velocity network, an again domestic for all know-how related establishments inside the united states of America. Initially, the targets had been to offer open assets in phrases of repositories and depositories, which were made on hand to the public. Some of the efforts within the course commenced as National Digital Repository of IGNOU, Sakshat imparting e-content material, Shishya for 11th and 12th requirements by CBSE board. The idea at the back of those initiatives changed into to make schooling available to many novices. Some of the names that fall inside the path are Education and Research Network (ERNET) connecting various education institutions through imparting community connectivity. Education Satellite (EDUSAT) a satellite released for training in India. Consortium for Educational Communication (CEC), use the strength of tv to act as a way of tutorial information dissemination, Information and Library Network Centre (INFLIBNET) autonomous Inter-University Centre for connecting university libraries, additionally, it has commenced numerous different programs. These all are the projects toward open training and education with Information technology still MOOC was out in their reach.
There are diverse great establishments, each non-income, and business, that provide the publications in India with the assist of MOOC companies. Few are stated beneath;
• NPTEL: National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning. It is a venture-funded with the aid of MHRD, initiated in 2003.
• MooKIT: MooKIT is a light-weight MOOC control device constructed absolutely the use of open-supply technologies by means of Indian Institute of Kanpur (IITK), in 2004.
• IIT Bombay X: IIT Bombay X is a non-profit MOOC platform developed by IIT Bombay using the open-supply Platform Open edX, in 2014.
• SWAYAM: SWAYAM stands for ‘Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds’ released by means of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC’s) are witnessing a large demand some of the college students, with the majority of Indian college students enrolling into overseas universities. MOOC can provide the Indian students an aspect required to compete inside the global market. It can be a especially fruitful arrangement for the learner, college and industry, which can contribute to remodeling the face of the teens of our kingdom. This isn’t a stop however just beginning of the discussion for the prospects of MOOC in India.